Monday, December 29, 2014

#GIRLBOSS (Review)



You've probably seen this book everywhere. It's all over Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest; basically any and every social media platform. I honestly couldn't even avoid it if I tried. Let me tell you a little secret, before college, I couldn't have cared less about anything related to business- it seemed so stuffy and boring! At the time, I was dead set on becoming a fashion designer, or a large network anchor or field reporter. However, when I got to college, I made the decision I never thought I'd make... I switched to the business school.. and I realized that WOW this is so much more "me" than I thought. My dad always tried to buy me books by CEO's or business professionals explaining their rise to fame, but I usually shrugged them off and put them aside. And who knows, you might be the same way; the business world might not be your cup of tea. This might shock you, if you haven't read it. This book changed my mind. It might have even changed my life, but I haven't been able to apply most of the lessons in a real world setting just yet

Okay, I know I sound like I'm exaggerating quite a bit, but this is one of the very best books I've read in a long time. Anyone who is able to build an empire and stay true to themselves and their vision is remarkable, however NastyGal was started as a one-woman vintage eBay page, and is now a multi-million dollar company. From their website: 

"Nasty Gal is a global online destination for fashion-forward, free-thinking girls. In 2006, founder Sophia Amoruso started an eBay store selling a highly curated selection of vintage pieces. In just five short years, the shop has grown to become an international style source offering both new and vintage clothing, shoes, and accessories. The name was inspired by the song and album “Nasty Gal.” Betty Davis, the patron saint of badass women, was known for her unapologetically sexy funk music which comprises our vision of femininity—complete with lamé platform thigh-high boots."

One of my favorite quotes from the book is, “No matter where you are in life, you'll save a lot of time by not worrying too much about what other people think about you. The earlier in your life that you can learn that, the easier the rest of it will be.” #GIRLBOSS provides the insight and the wisdom that everyone can benefit; to gain confidence, motivation, a work ethic... etc. What is a #GIRLBOSS though? According to Sophia, it's someone who is "...in charge of their own life". Anyone and everyone can be a #GIRLBOSS or a #DUDEBOSS with a little push, motivation, and confidence.

I recommend this book to everyone. Honesty is Sophia's only policy. It's one of the most creative books about business that I've seen so far, and it definitely reflects Sophia's attitude toward the world, and what she puts into her company, as CEO and founder. It will definitely inspire you, and give you insight into what it takes to make it as a business owner, or even as someone working in the working world today. You can buy this book here, here or most large retailers.

What makes you a #GIRLBOSS? 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished